HOW TO GAIN THAT EDGE IN A GROUP DISCUSSION
It is the preparation in a Group Discussion that will help you perform well in Interview. Here are certain guidelines which help you succeed.
- It is essential that your word reflects the willingness to lead and take responsibility. The interest of the group should be prioritized rather than self-interest.
- Do not try to be somebody else by aping great speakers. Do not lose your originality – be yourself. Your words should have substance and avoid speaking out of turn. Self-praise is the worse so never blow your own trumpet.
- Initiating the discussion is a major plus factor, however, do so best in case you’re very clean about the subject and recognize plenty approximately the same.
- You are under careful scrutiny so remember that you are being judged and hence it is important that you come across as a good Team Player. You may assume that your behavior is in tune with the group, but your words, expression, and body language may convey a different message. It is essential that the other team members rectify this flaw.
- When the topic for the Group Discussion is given note down the exact words of the Topic because remember that missing out even one word would change the entire meaning of the Topic.
- Do not be over confident, Always be positive.
- As you’re being judged remember to dress neatly and project a pleasing image and consciously keep a check on your body language.
- Providing a meaningful path to the discussion always leaves a terrific influence at the evaluators.
- If you have any doubt about the nature of the Topic being taken do not hesitate to get it clarified. You must focus on the précised aspects of the subject. If you fail to understand the exact meaning of the Topic given, you might just be beating around the bush.
- Keep a check on the time, as you are expected to discuss amongst your group within a certain time limit.
YOU ARE BEING JUDGED ON
COMMUNICATION – LISTENING SKILLS, PRECISION IN CONVEYING IDEAS, LANGUAGE.
WHETHER YOU HAVE THE NECESSARY QUALITIES REQUIRED FOR A SPECIFIC JOB.
HOW YOU RESPOND TO A DIFFERING VIEW
WAY OF YOU ARE PROMOTE BACK BENCHERS
HOW WELL YOU WOULD RESOLVE COMPLEX ISSUES
FIND WAYS FOR PROBLEM-SOLVING CAPABILITY
YOUR COMMUNICATE IDEAS
TAKE ON RESPONCIBILTY FACTORS
YOUR PUSH / INITIATIVE / DRIVE / CONFIDENCE
GROUP SYNERGY SHOULD BE THE ULTIMATE GOAL IN A GROUP DISCUSSION (BEING ABLE TO ACHIEVE SOMETHING JOINTLY RATHER THAN SINGLE HANDEDLY)
AN ACCEPTABLE CONCLUSION IS WHAT ONE SHOULD WORK TOWARDS AT THE END OF A GROUP DISCUSSION
IF YOU HAPPEN TO EMERGE AS A NATURAL LEADER THAT COULD BE CONSIDERED AS ICING ON THE CAKE FOR YOUR GROUP.
A participant in a group discussion has therefore different roles during the discussion in order to impress the moderator that he/she has most if not all of the above-mentioned skill set. The success mantra in Group Discussion is “Be Different”.